Monday 11 March 2013

Grytviken church

A quick sketch of Grytviken church, which has recently been restored. It's very atmospheric inside, and I was treated to an Impromptu organ recital whilst  sat sketching the interior. The surroundings are now clear of industrial debris, but one sad loss is the former Grytviken Cinema. I'm not sure when this finally disappeared but there are pictures of it semi-collapsed in the 1980s on the Internet. A shame, as it looked a very interesting building and gave a glimpse of another facet of life in South Georgia during the whaling heyday.
The sketch is not quite as crinkly as it seems , this is due to the glancing light when I took the iPad picture. Again, I think this might make a good large scale subject and must stretch a sheet of full imperial to tackle this.

2 comments:

  1. Yes that would make a dramatic subject. Is the church clad with wood or metal sheeting? I hope there was a stove inside or perhaps sermons were just kept short!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith it's a traditional Norwegian church, all timber. I can't recall a stove though no doubt there was some form of heating. The roof was covered in metal.

    ReplyDelete