Saturday 22 December 2012

Right Whale Bay

I've been working on a half imperial version of the sketch I made at Right Whale Bay. Like the previous painting, I felt that this would be an ideal subject for a larger full imperial sized painting. Having a handy stretched piece of paper, and not wanting to wait to stretch and dry a larger sheet, I made do with the half imperial sheet. At the final stages of the painting, I darkened the background mountain, but am still undecided whether to put on another wash and darken it even further. At times like this I wonder whether I will ever resolve the dilemma between overworking a painting and not adding sufficient contrast to make it "ping".


1 comment:

  1. I don't think I would darken it any more. It would separate the background slope from the ridge in front of it too much. It might also draw the eye away from the elephant seal. I would certainly put the painting away for a while and then look at it afresh later.

    Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete